Monday, October 20, 2008

Monday Morning Scare!

Well, let this be an warning to everyone. This morning while I was in the shower getting ready for work, I started smelling smoke. Kyle was still home from school,so I had him look around to see if he could see where it was coming from. He couldn't find anything and said it was only in the bathroom where I was. So, I finished washing my hair and got out. By that time the smell was stronger and I was starting to think that it might be the vent in our bathroom. So I went and put on my clothes. When I came out of my dressing room I could see the smoke filling the entire upstairs. I started to look some more and yelled at Allicia to get upstairs. I noticed smoke coming out of the corner cupboard in my kitchen, so I grabbed the phone and decided it was getting pretty bad, so we should get out of the house. As I was leaving the house, I was debating on who to call or what to do, but as I looked back into the house filled with smoke I knew I had to call the fire department. A couple minutes later they arrived and sure enough we had a small fire that started in our laundry room. Thankfully I was home and caught it before we had a lot of damage. The fireman told me it was a good thing I hadn't left for work, because our house would have been gone! Our only loss was a laundry basket, a paint can and Maddie's bed cover.

Above is the location of our fire. Maddie's bed cover was sitting on the floor next to the water heater. The fire department said that it was probably a spark from the pilot lite that caught part of the bed cover. They suggested that we build something around the water heater so it cannot happen again. They said it is one of the most common calls they get. So, let this be a lesson for everyone. When you go home make sure there is nothing next to your water heater and make sure to cover it so nothing can fall against it and cause a fire. We will definitely be building something around our ASAP!

No comments: