Friday, July 24, 2009

Kids...and the crazy things they do!

I was just thinking this morning about all the cute, crazy, and quirky things Allicia and Kyle used to do when they were smaller, and sometimes still do. I thought it would make a great post so here goes.....

Kyle
  • Had a dump truck that he used to ride and push around the house. He absolutely loved it and often liked to talk about it. The not so good part about that was that he couldn't pronounce it very well. To Kyle it was his "dumb f***".
  • He was often found jumping up and down stomping on the floor underneath the fire alarm as it was going off. Now you might ask, "Why?" My response would be that the fire alarm would go off due to the poor placement of the fire alarm. It was hung very close to the stove in the kitchen. Others might say that it was due to my tendency to burn things when I cooked. In my defence, this was in my very early years of cooking...and I do HONESTLY like to eat many things just a little over-cooked, maybe even burnt. :) Now, why would Kyle stomp on the ground under it when it was going off? Well, this is because to turn it off, I would have to jump up and try to push the button on the fire alarm. I guess Kyle had seen me do it enough times he thought all he needed to do to shut it off was stomp on the floor, jumping up and down, underneath it.
  • Kyle used to like to play with playing cards. We had an old baby wipes box stuffed full of many decks of cards. He would sit for hours and look at, organize, and play with them.
  • He loved match box cars....at one point I counted how many we had and it was over 700.
  • He was always very particular about the clothes he would wear and would ask me, "Mom, does this look cool?" and he loved to put on cologne. I remember taking him places and my friends would say, "What smells so good?" Then they would notice it was Kyle.
  • He used to suck on a pacifier. After we took his passy away he would suck on his tongue while he would sleep.
  • He went through a phase where he would stutter. It was just before he started school and I was really worried about him....but he eventually grew out of it and you would never know now.
  • He was the slowest eater ever. Now he is just picky.
  • Kyle loved to make books and magazines with his Grandma Dixie. He would draw pictures and then he would tell his Grandma what to write on each page. I still have many of them stored away. The last time I looked at them I noticed many of them consisted of funny monsters.
  • He was scared to death of water. I had a hard time even washing his hair in the bathtub he hated it so much.
  • In first grade we would wake up every morning, get ready for school, and then I would read him Magic Tree House books.
  • He talks in his sleep.
  • When he was about 3 years old, he insisted on wearing long sleeve shirts and pants in the summer. It would be hotter than hot and he would be sweating bullets, but he wouldn't care. He would not put on shorts. It look a few weeks of hot summer days before I finally convinced him to wear something a little cooler.
  • And he hated it when his Aunt Leslie nick-named him Buck, which she still calls him. His other nickname is String-bean, given to him by his Grandpa Pete, because he was long and skinny when he was born.

Allicia

  • When I would nurse Allicia, she would rub her little hands up and down my sides or back.
  • She loved to sleep curled up right next to your face and had to be touching some part of your skin at all times.
  • She gave the best hugs ever....and still does. There was nothing better than having her little baby arms wrapped around your neck.
  • She had an imaginary friend named Dorna. She often blamed Dorna for naughty little things that happened around the house, such as the time her bed broke because someone was jumping on it too much. She also asked almost every night before bed time if Dorna could spend the night. I would often hear her talking to Dorna while she was playing in her room. And if you ever asked her what Dorna looked like, she would tell me "she looks like me, mom" as if I should already know that.
  • She loved to drink "straw-baby" (strawberry) milk in her sippy cup.... at least this is what she called it.
  • She called her blanket bubby....she still wishes she could have bubby.
  • She went through a phase where she would roam the house during the night. We would wake up to her sleeping in odd places throughout the house or hear her getting into different things. We actually had to start trapping her in her room with a gate so we didn't have to worry about her. Many mornings we would find her curled up on the floor with her bubby, sucking her thumb, right next to the gate.
  • She couldn't say fabulous. Dave would ask Allicia what she looked like and her reply would be "fab-lee-us".
  • Jenny taught Allicia the words to the song "Ice Ice Baby", but instead of starting the song with "Stop, collaborate and listen". Allicia would say, "Stop, ker-ab-a-late and listen".
  • When Allicia first learned how to give thumbs up she did it with her pointer fingers.
  • She would always make friends with people anytime I would take her somewhere. She loved to sit and chat with anyone.
  • She came home from one of her first days of school in Rochester and says to me..."Mom today one of my friends called me the H-word." Her face was very serious and I could tell she thought the H-word was something really bad. I of-course was thinking what in the world did she call her. So I asked, "Allicia, what is the H-word?" She replied in a whisper, "hot, Mom...she called me hot."
  • She too has many nicknames......Alli, Alli-B, Beans, Baby Cakes, and Cakers.

Ava

She has her cute and quirky ways as well.

  • She's really jumpy and gets startled very easily. Its funny because she will jump and quickly look anytime there is a loud noise. She rarely cries but she sure gets startled easily.
  • She has a smile on her face almost all of the time. Sometimes even when she is crying or whining.
  • She has the hardest suck ever. And can bite hard enough for it to hurt...even without teeth. I think she is going to be a very strong girl.
  • When she gets really mad she blows bubbles when she cries. I'm trying to catch it on video and plan on posting it as soon as I do.
  • She loves the feel of her Daddy's whiskers.
  • She is not a morning person and hates to be picked at when she is sleeping. Her daddy likes to give her kisses in the morning before he goes to work. She usually thrashes around and swats him away with her arms. She gets this from him because he hates being bothered while he is sleeping too.
  • She loves to lay on her changing table.
  • She has some of the biggest toots ever. And she has started to blow bubbles with her mouth whenever she toots or is filling her pants.
  • She doesn't always ride well in the car. It seems like if she is starting to get really tired or is alone in the backseat it is the worst. She will seriously scream the entire time until we either arrive at our destination or she cries herself to sleep.
  • Ava's nickname is Ava-bear.

Kids....they're so much fun!

No comments: